The magnetic stud finders are very popular all over the world, and their primary purpose is using the magnets to locate metals in the walling material.
When the magnetic stud finder works, the magnet is attracted to the metal, and we get a reading or indication on any magnetic stud finder.
That attraction becomes stronger when the magnet becomes closer to the metal in the wall.
When you find the strongest attention point, then it means that it is an indication of the location of the Stud.
In this article, we will discuss several products of a magnetic stud finder. You can choose your required product according to your convenience and requirements.
First of all, let’s have quick look at a top-selling magnetic stud finder.
|Check On Amazon|
CH Hanson 03040 is a cheap magnetic stud finder that can detect the exact location of the screws or nails in a wall by using some powerful magnets.
One thing you must keep in mind is that Stud finder, whether the electric Stud finder or the magnetic stud finder must be accurate and give precise results that we have included the best magnetic stud finder in our list.
If your product is precise, then it will be beneficial in dealing with high-level projects.
||Check On Amazon|
|Studpop Magnetic Stud Finder||
||Check On Amazon|
|Stanley 47-400 Magnetic Stud Finder||
||Check On Amazon|
|Rack-A-Tiers 52300 Studball||
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
|MagnetPal – Strongest Magnetic Wall Stud Finder||
||Check On Amazon|
||Check On Amazon|
Magnetic Stud Finders are cheaper, and although they can measure the location of the stud as accurately and quickly, they’re a cheap option for people on a budget.
Let’s explore how magnetic stud detectors work and what they’re good for.
Table of Contents
The good thing about CH Hanson Magnetic Stud Finders is that it will not need any calibration while finding the metal studs. Also, it does not require any batteries and uses magnetic technology to find the metal stud.
CH Hanson utilizes the powerful rare earth magnets to determine the precise locations of nails or screws in a stud and also pinpointing it. It is small in size and easy to carry metal stud finder.
We must say that CH Hanson is the best stud finder in the market because of its small size and cheap price.
CH Hanson can detect the metal studs up to 1 inch and also it has a small size so that you can quickly grab it.
You will feel the gentle touch of CH Hanson, which is a powerful magnetic stud finder. The main mechanism on which CH Hanson works is the use of a powerful magnet and two way level for ease of marking.
Read Detailed Review of: CH Hanson 03040 Magnetic Stud Finder
- The CH Hanson is a tiny and compact magnetic stud finder.
- CH Hanson can easily fit in the pocket.
- It is very powerful and allows hand-free use.
- No batteries are required in this magnetic stud finder.
- It can detect the metal studs up to 1-inch deep.
If you want to go for an affordable and unique stud finder, then stud pop magnetic 1004 80-SP is the best choice. It is also a pocket-size stud finder just like the CH Hanson.
So, because of the pocket size of stud pop, you can also easily hold it easily and carry it anywhere you want.
All you have to do is to just slide over around the wall. It works so efficiently that it will locate the Stud in no time.
I advise you to run this tool on the wall, and once it has sensed any stud, then it will pop out naturally.
One thing which makes it unique than another magnetic stud finder is the popping sound of stud pop magnetic as the name also indicates it.
So, you will not have to listen to the longer beats, which will be noisy and irritating for you. It will just pop when it detects the metal studs. Studpop also gives accurate and precise results.
Just like the CH Hanson, Studpop magnetic stud finder to not require any batteries for calibrations.
- Studpop is a powerful magnetic stud finder that can detect metal fasteners up 2.5 inches deep.
- It can also indicate moves and click when a metal fastener is found.
- Furthermore, It can detect metals in wood, lath, sheetrock, and plaster.
- And it gives the most accurate result.
- No batteries or calibration is required.
- It is easy to use a magnetic stud finder.
Stanley is the high quality and durable magnetic stud finder where it uses the mechanism of magnet to find the screws and nails at a fast speed. So, Stanley provides a reliable wall stud detection.
The manufacturers offer an unlimited lifetime warranty of Stanley. When you detect any metal stud then at the base of the stud finder, it will notch for convenient markings.
As we all know, the magnet has a high affinity for any nails or screws.
So it can easily detect the nails or screws because of the magnet working to identify it.
The magnet present in standard stud finder will locate the steel, nails, and screws which are used to hold the drivers to stud.
It is light in weight stud finder where its weight is only 1.6 ounces.
Stanley magnetic stud finder is present in a case and has dependable detection of wall studs.
Stanley magnetic stud finder is a professional stud finder where many professional contractors and homeowners are using it.
Just like the CH Hanson, it gives accurate results, and it is considered in the category of the most reliable magnetic stud finder.
- Stanley magnetic stud finder is straightforward to use.
- It has the base of the stud finder for convenient marking when the Stud is located.
- Stanley magnetic stud finder has a limited lifetime warranty.
- The nature of the Stud is similar to another magnetic stud finder where it locates the steel, nails, and screws.
Rack-A-Tiers is an incredible magnetic stud finder. It is actually a stud ball. It is available in four colors which are red, yellow, green, and blue. Rack-A-Tiers is an affordable magnetic stud finder.
We can also call it that it is a protected magnetic stud finder which also shows the fantastic performance while finding the Stud.
Rack-A-Tiers can effectively detect the metal through the drywall as compared to other magnetic stud finders.
One of the things which are most appealing to me is that it can also work on ceramic tiling up to 3 to 4 inches.
Also, it is the quickest magnetic stud finder where it can find 40 or mostly studs on the drywall in less than a minute.
- This is the most powerful magnetic stud finder having a powerful magnet.
- It can detect screws or nails in the wood frame walls.
- It can find 40 or more Steel starts with 5 to 8-inch drywall in less than a minute.
- It comes with Multiple Colors.
Plaster wall stud finder kit is an amazing and differently designed magnetic stud finder. The design of this magnetic stud finder makes it unique from other stud finders.
The good thing about this magnetic stud finder is that just like other stud finders, it does not require any battery.
There is also an alignment pin in the plaster wall stud finder that doubles as the hole punch.
The Plaster wall stud finder kit reaches the Stud up to 3 inches away.
The color of this metal stud finder is yellow, and its material is plastic and metal. It is also light in weight magnetic stud finder
- The plaster wall stud finder kit can detect the metals and screws accurately.
- It has a powerful magnet which can find the Stud and also it can find the center of the Stud.
- It is a super-strong rare earth magnet that can find the nails even in the plaster wall.
- In the plaster wall, the stud finder alignment pin is present which doubles as the hole punch.
- No batteries are required in this stud finder.
MagnetPal is the most reliable magnetic wall stud finder where it can find the metal studs up to 1 inch. When you want to detect the metal studs, you will feel the wall pull it out of your hand.
We can also call it a Wall mount scanner when you need to mount a flat-screen TV.
So magnetPal will help you in lining the studs and be able to find the particular studs for a secure installation.
We can also call it a professional stud finder where it works great for professional installers.
This is because it gives accurate and precise results.
One thing which I must praise about it is that it can find the metal stud in almost all materials such as sheetrock, plaster, drywall, wood tile, or plastic.
- It is the most reliable magnetic wall stud finder.
- It is a Wall mount scanner where you can use it to mount a flat-screen TV.
- You can easily map out and can find what is behind the wall.
- It can also find the metal starts behind the plastic, sheetrock, wood, drywall, plastic, or tile.
- It is a mini starter finder that will never fail, falls off, or rust.
- You can also use it for professional use.
StudBuddy is a very stylish yet simplest magnetic stud finder. It is made in the USA. The StudBuddy can work with all drywall. But unfortunately, this stud finder will not work on plaster walls and lath.
But the good thing about the StudBuddy is that it can find the metal stud as well as the wood studs behind the drywall by locating nails and screws in the studs.
Just like other magnetic stud finders, it will not require batteries. It can hang on the wall hands-free when the studs are located.
So, with this magnetic stud finder, you can hang the cabinet, shelves, paintings, and much more. It is light in weight and easy to use a magnetic stud finder.
The weight of StudBuddy is only 1.6 ounces. So it is a handy tool for finding the studs.
- The studBuddy is a simple magnetic stud finder.
- It can find the metal screws or nails in the drywall.
- You cannot use this magnetic stud finder on lath and plaster walls.
- Not only the metal stud, but it can also find the wood stud behind the drywall.
- No battery is required in this stud finder.
- It will hang on the wall, and you can use it hands-free.
A magnetic stud finder is basically a magnet that hinges or can swing freely on a small point. It is usually encased in plastic or glass and moved across the wall slowly.
What you’re looking for as you move it across the wall, is the magnet to move. This indicated that there is a metal nail or screw underneath it.
You can make your own magnetic stud finder by using a magnet and a bit of string.
While this won’t tell you the edge of the stud, it will be a pretty good indication as to where the stud is, because normally people only screw or nail into the wooden beams.
It’s a very basic system for finding the studs, but it works.
Here is a little comparison between Magnetic and Electric stud finders.
They both have pros and cons, but in our opinion, it’s best to have one of each, just so you’re covered, especially if you actually work in the industry and use them regularly.
We can use the magnetic stud finder very easily. In some magnetic stud finder, there is a power button and if you have it in your stud finder then press it for some time.
- The Stud finder is switched on. Then put the Stud finder on the wall and start moving it.
- When you run this magnetic stud finder on the wall, you will send the tentacles of electromagnetism as it is pulling you towards the target location.
- Since you are feeling it, you will also get an indication of the stud finder.
- The point where you think that the indication is stronger is the place where your metal Stud is present.
- You must mark this with the help of a pencil or a pen to get a precise location.
- Magnetic stud finder works very well on the sheetrock, Plaster wall, drywall, ceiling, floor, lath, etc. But it is the nature of the magnetic stud finder that it can work on which type of material.
If we talk about the magnetic stud finder, then the name indicates that the magnetic stud finder usually uses the magnetic power to locate different types of nails and screws use to bind up the studs.
- However, the electronic stud finder measures the density of the wall and the probability of finding the Stud by the usage of electric measures.
- An electronic stud finder is more accurate and precise than the magnetic stud finder.
- A magnetic stud finder is easy to use and identify any metal objects under the wall.
- They are also affordable and cheaper than the electronic Stud finder; however, they do not give as accurate results as the electronic stud finder.
Electronic stud finder works for metal and wooden Studs, but they are rather expensive than the magnetic stud finder.
Pros of Magnetic Stud finder
- They’re cheap. They are almost no money at all, Much cheaper than their Electronic alternatives.
- They are smaller. Easier to hide away in a pocket, toolbox, or builders pouch, and they’re lighter as well.
- They’re really easy to use and don’t need batteries.
- They’re fine for stud detection about half an inch-1 inch deep.
Cons of Magnetic Stud Finder
- They can only scan stud walls up to 1 inch deep. If you’re doing a more serious job you’ll need more.
- It takes longer. Because you have to slowly move the magnet and work out for yourself where the stud is.
- They can be misleading. If the previous builder didn’t screw centrally to the stud you will get a bad reading.
- They don’t work on thicker walls. The thicker plasterboard makes them almost useless.
Pros of Electronic Stud Finder
- They’re very accurate. They can measure the edge of studs to within a few millimeters.
- They can scan up to 3 inches deep. Deep scanning gives a better view of what’s behind the wall.
- They can detect pipes, wires, and more. Essential if you’re drilling, you don’t want to hit a gas pipe or a wire.
Cons of Electronic Stud Finder
- They’re sometimes expensive. Although, you get quality when you pay more.
- They could run out of batteries. Although this isn’t really an issue, replacements can be purchased.
- Sometimes, they’re difficult to use. The more complicated multi scanners may need a bit of practice to use.
- They don’t always fit into small spaces. This could be a problem if the space you’re working with is cramped.
Well, the truth is stud finders are good. If you want to get serious about your DIY or your building business, you’ll make sure to get one of each, just so you’re covered in case you encounter problems.
You could run into a wall which is hard to get to, and so a magnetic stud finder would be the best option.
Also, you might need to scan deep into the wall to detect pipes and scan for electrical wires, in which case a zircon Multiscanner would be perfect for the job.
To be safe, make sure to have both a Magnetic Stud Finder and an Electronic Stud Finder.
Q 1: What are the uses of a magnetic stud finder?
Ans: The magnetic stud finders are very useful in practical life as you can locate metal materials embedded in the structures.
Finding the metal studs with the help of a magnetic stud finder is a non-invasive method of identifying. Magnetic stud finders are cost-effective and can efficiently detect the studs.
There is a strong rare earth magnet that can also work through the plaster to find the studs.
Q 2: How can we find a stud in a magnet wall?
Ans: We can easily find a stud in the magnetic wall if we slowly slide a magnet along the surface of the wall. The drywall screws will be attracted to the magnet and come closer to the surface of the drywall.
At this point, you can leave the magnets stuck to the screw and can mark the Stud throughout your project.
Q 3: Is the magnetic stud finder work?
Ans: Yes, the magnetic stud finder can be used in commercial buildings. There are many stud finders who can also find the wooden studs.
They can also find metal studs. There is also a new type of stud finder which works by detecting the changes in the density of a wall.
It becomes difficult for you in choosing the best stud finder. Your primary focus is to select that stud finder that can detect all the Stud in your wall.
This is a challenging thing for you as you have some features present in one stud finder and some features present in other stud finders. So, if you are thinking of buying the stud finder for you, then this article will help you a lot.
As I have reviewed all about many stud finders, from my point of view, CH Hanson is a good choice as it is a handy tool and can easily find the studs. Also, it does not require any battery.
MagnetPal is also an excellent magnetic stud finder as it is also a lightweight stud finder. It can find the studs in less than a minute and do not require batteries. MagnetPal can detect the metal studs in the plaster, tiles, and plastic also.