The DeWalt DCT419S1 is one of the more popular stud finders from a reliable company. It scans for wood, both types of metal, plastic and lives electric – so a general all-rounder.
The color display screen is a lot more aesthetic than the usual two-tone displays we so often see.
|Weight: 7.3 ounces
Dimension: 16.5 x 6.2 x 13.1 inches
Power Source: Cordless
|Check On Amazon
It allows you to visualize exactly whats behind the surface, without having to read any symbols, instead, you’ll simply see a depiction of what’s actually going on: a wooden stud, a metal joist or whatever it may be.
Though it seems like a simple feature to be so impressed with, it just makes the job that bit less monotonous.
Table of Contents
|Weight: 7.3 pounds
|Dimensions: 16.5 x 6.2 x 13.1 inches
|Batteries: 1 Lithium-ion battery
|Power Source: Cordless
|Voltage: 12 volts
|Item Package Quantity: 1
|Number of Handles: 1
|Batteries Included?: Yes
|Batteries Required?: Yes
|Battery Cell Type: Lithium-Ion
- The device also has an automatic mapping feature that remembers scanned materials over a mapped area of up to 9.8 feet so you can easily see a map of where each detection is in relation to the others.
- Furthermore, feature just allows you to take that step back and look at the overview, sometimes an easier way to look at the situation.
- The precision of the DCT419S1 is almost perfect, with a 0.5-inch position accuracy for stud edges.
- Moreover, nearer to the surface, the more precise the reading will be, more often than not it will be spot on, but as with most of these devices, the deeper the detection the higher the chance that the accuracy may be closer to the 0.5 inches out.
- If you have any doubt though, a quick rescan will take only a few more seconds and just add that extra reassurance.
- It perfectly distinguishes between materials, so by following the instructions and simply scanning one way first (for a pre-scan) and then back the other way to reveal findings, not only will you know what material you’re dealing with, but you’ll also have a clear idea of its dimensions.
- This is one of the most incredible features of the DeWalt stud sensor that can detect the five classes of embedded materials with the help of patented pending sensing Technology.
- Five classes of embedded materials are ferrous metal, non-ferrous metals, unshielded live electric wires, plastic, and wood.
- The color of the DeWalt Stud sensor is yellow and black and has a 3.5 inch LCD display which shows the improved visibility and communication for the detection of the materials.
- Now, the DeWalt Stud Sensor can locate the material up to 9.8 feet with the help of tracking the Bar displays feature.
- It can also process all embedded material simultaneously with an automatic mapping feature.
- It can also scan through multiple wall surfaces, which include ceramic, tile, concrete, plywood, and drywall.
DeWalt Hand Held Wall Scanner user Experience
Despite this DeWalt being particularly strict on keeping the rolling speed slow for accuracy, it’s other features still mean it’s one of the quickest stud finding devices out there.
- And referring again to the automatic mapping feature, all embedded materials are processed simultaneously, making this device a real time saver for the larger jobs compared to more basic models where different modes are required to get the full picture.
- Here we can see everything at once, not having to devote too much attention to one spot or one material at a time.
- Furthermore, the roller wheels on the bottom of the device help it move smoothly over different surfaces.
- Roller wheels make scanning so much easier but can leave marks on finished walls so if you’re worried about scratches it might be worth putting some thin material (perhaps paper or cardboard over the surface you intend to scan.
DeWalt DCT419S1 Qualities
- The DeWalt helps avoid human error as much as is possible, the color screen tells you where to avoid drilling, so you don’t run into any live wires.
- It can also be used on different types of surfaces such as drywall, plywood, concrete and ceramic tile.
- so unless your surface is a particularly obscure one this should serve you well.
- Whilst this stud finder doesn’t work on as diverse a range of surfaces as the Franklin 710, it detects more materials, and so shouldn’t need to be used alongside other stud finding devices.
Things to know before buying DeWalt DCT419S1
- The battery life is a lot more practical than most stud finders out there, lasting 4 hours, you can easily cover everything you need to without fear of your DeWalt dying on you (unless you’re incredibly slow at scanning).
- You’ll also be relieved to hear that after splashing out on the device you’re not going to have to keep spending on batteries, as this model comes with a charger – a relief for those who’ll be using it a lot.
- It’s got a sturdy build, and is somewhat weighty, but has a handle to keep it steady and will definitely be as fragile as some of the cheaper models.
- It also comes with its very own case, so it’s not going to be at risk of damage or thrown into a generic toolbox.
- The DeWalt DCT419S1 12V Max Hand Held Wall Scanner is undoubtedly one of the more expensive models, but for good reason.
- It’s more of an investment than a one time DIY gadget, it’s designed to be an everyday tool for those in the construction business.
You’re paying for quality, ease of use, and the reliability of a DeWalt product.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q 1: Will this stud sensor locate the wooden studs behind the tiled shower wall?
Ans: Yes, DeWalt Stud Sensor can scan the wooden studs behind a tiled shower wall, as it can scan multiple wall surfaces.
These wall services include concrete, ceramic tile, plywood, drywall.
It can detect five classes of embedded materials, which are non-ferrous, metal, plastic, ferrous metal, wood, and unshielded live electric behind wall surfaces up to 3 inches deep.
Q 2: How does a DeWalt Stud Sensor work?
Ans: As we all know that the primary function of the traditional stud sensor is to only locate the edge of the stud, but the Dewalt stud finder is the best one as it can identify the center with more efficient read, especially when we hold it at an angle.
This is a fantastic stud sensor calibrating continuously to save time during use.
Q 3: Do the DeWalt Stud Sensor can display the stud electric wiring running down?
Ans: Yes, this stud finder is an incredible one where you can find the display of the electrical wiring.
Q 4: Is this stud sensor work through carpet and padding to get to floor joists?
Ans: Yes, you can detect the floor joist through the carpet with the help of this stud finder. But keep this thing in mind that you are putting the right pressure to scan it.
Q 5: Can this stud finder detect the plastic pipes behind cement brick?
Ans: No, it will not identify the plastic pipe behind cement brick.
Q6: What is the Weight of DeWalt DCT419S1?
Ans: It is a handy tool weighing about only 7.3 lbs. The shipping weight is 7.35 pounds.
Q7: What is the Warranty of DeWalt DCT419S1?
Ans: It offers you three years Limited warranty. The DeWalt Stud Sensor also offers you a 1-year free service and a 90-day money-back guarantee.
We have concluded from the above discussion that it is effortless to use a stud sensor and also beautifully designed.
It gives accurate results and has the ability to detect the five classes of embedded materials, which are ferrous metal, non-ferrous metal, unshielded live electric wires, plastic, and wood.
It can locate the wooden start behind the tight shower wall and also walk through carpet and padding to get the floor joists.